The Jesuits settled here in 1868 and erected the first chapel two years later using the walls of an earlier building. Unfortunately, it soon proved inadequate, and the last service was held there in 1912. In the neighbourhood, between 1909 and 1912, a magnificent new church designed by Franciszek Mączyński was built and consecrated in 1921. In 1960 Pope John XXIII gave the church the title of Minor Basilica. It is a modernist, three-nave basilica built of red brick with details of grey stone, with elements of Romanesque, Gothic and Baroque art. The mighty church tower, 70 metres high, is one of the highest in the city. There are outstanding artists’ works in the interior, including the sculpture of Christ by Xawery Dunikowski, and Art Nouveau ornamental polychromies of the vaults and decorations of confessionals by Jan Bukowski, mosaics by Leonard Strojnowski, and the main altar and pews by Franciszek Mączyński. The side altars feature stucco sculptures by Karol Hukan, whose altar of Our Lady of the Angels is one of the most valuable works of sacral art in Poland from the interwar period. Above the altar is a mosaic frieze by Piotr Stachowicz, depicting homages paid to the Sacred Heart of Jesus by Polish saints, blesseds and the nation. A wooden crucifix surrounded by the Madonna and St. John is placed on the rainbow beam. The Jesuits purchased the Stations of the Cross in France in 1937. By the church stands a monument to the creator of the church, Franciszek Mączyński, from 1912 by Xawery Dunikowski. The church is located on the route of the Małopolska Way of St. James from Sandomierz to Tyniec.