Mury Obronne Kraków
The City Defensive Walls, Krakow
The entrance to the walls leads through the Pasamonik Tower, which was built in the first half of the 14th century. It is the only tower that is open to the public. On its three levels you can find a museum exhibition, where there are models of fortifications, clothes and weapons of the city's defenders, as well as a film showing the development of Krakow's fortifications. The Pasamonik tower was once defended by a guild of craftsmen who made belts and fringes, the most famous of which was Marcin Oracewicz, who was distinguished during the defence of the city during the Bar Confederation. He became the patron of the city's defenders, and his stone bust adorns Celestat – the historic seat of the Brotherhood of the Rooster. The sightseeing route leads through the guards’ gallery along the walls. Above the entrance to the Florian Gate, where there is the so-called chapel – a former weapon warehouse, rebuilt into a chapel in the 19th century, currently not used for religious purposes. The Florian Gate, known as Porta Gloriae, was built in 1307 and became the most important entrance gate to Krakow on the so-called the Royal Route. Since the eighteenth century, it has been decorated with a bas-relief of Saint Florian from the side of the city. In the nineteenth century, from the side of the Plant Park, it was decorated with a stone Piast eagle, made according to the design of Jan Matejko. We end our walk on the walls at the fourteenth century Stolarski Tower, which is an arsenal from the 16th century and is connected to the Stolarska Tower.